Common Beautiful but Poisonous Home Plants and Trees

Trees offer comfort to homes because they are pleasing to the eye, especially if they are more beautiful, but then there are beautiful trees that are also poisonous yet are used to adorn gardens, patios, yards, and fences. There are plants used as air purifiers in houses, but which are themselves toxic.

 

"<yoastmark

Life is full of contrasts, and that is why rose flowers have thorns. The feedback you get depends on how or where you touch it. Better still, you are safer if you take a look and go your way without touching.

The same applies to some beautiful trees that make good landscape features for your home except that they are poisonous, therefore harmful to you and your pets. If you have children, the stakes are even high. Children love flowers, and that includes poisonous flowers.

So do not be fooled by the smell of the flowers or their outward beauty because something sinister could be lurking behind the scenes.

What plants are poisonous to touch, and is there a way you can adorn your home with poisonous trees or plants without risking the lives of your family members and pets? Yes. But first, you have to know which and which plant or tree is poisonous.

Children are the most vulnerable when it comes to poisonous trees or plants because children like to try new things with their tongues. So in the summer months, they may want to taste flowers and some tree leaves to see what their beauty does to the stomach, not knowing the flowers are poisonous to touch.

With that out of the way, below are some of the poisonous trees or plants you should have an eye on if they are in your yard, garden, patio, fence, or in the house:

1.    Lily of the Valley

"<yoastmark

Lily of the Valley has one of the sweetest scents and lovely flowers, but it is unfit for consumption because of its high concentration of poison. It has toxic compounds known as cardiac glycosides that cause dizziness, vomiting, and skin rashes at short notice. And that is if you are lucky.

2.    Rhododendron

Rhododendron

Rhododendron

Rhododendron is so bad that if bees use its nectar to make honey, the honey becomes poisonous enough to harm you. It is unusual for even nectars to have the poisons in the trees that produce them. If you or your household member consumes any part of this plant, the results include confusion, vomiting, and heart problems.

3.    Hydrangea

Hydrangea has gorgeous, ball-shaped blossoms, but you had better admire them from a safe distance. All parts of this tree contain a poisonous chemical called cyanide. Fortunately, the poison amount in every part of the tree is low, so you will have to eat a ton of it to feel the impact.

Hydrangea (poisonous)

Hydrangea

But the same cannot be said about pets and kids. Nobody knows how your body would react to the toxins even if you are a grown-up, so do not try to find out. If consumed in high quantities, the symptoms include heavy breathing, stomach ache, or, in the worst scenario, coma.

 

4.    Daffodil

The poets have composed beautiful poems about the over 60 varieties of daffodils. They make one of the most beautiful decorative flowers to have in your home. Daffodils usually give out their sunshine-yellow blossoms in the spring, which is excellent.

Daffodils

Daffodil

But should you stay long in a room with a bunch of daffodils, you are likely to get dizzy and develop a headache. However, the poison in daffodils is not lethal enough, so you are going to be alright.

Dogs do eat the poisonous flowers, so you better keep your dogs away from a flower bed with daffodils.

The symptoms of daffodil consumption include convulsions, tremors, irregular heartbeats, and diarrhea.

5.    Elephant Ear

Elephant Ear is also known as Caladium. It is a beautiful plant that comes in different colors, and so it is a good selection for adorning your home. But then its red, green, pink, or white colors are unfit for human or animal consumption because they are all toxic.

Elephant Ear

Elephant Ear

The poison is in the chemical called calcium oxalate, which causes vomiting, swelling tongue, breathing difficulties, or death in severe cases when the mouth swelling blocks the air passage. Do not chew any part of the Elephant Ear.

6.    Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy belongs in the vine family, therefore it is a climbing plant that climbs on other trees. It also climbs on walls and houses, reaching over 100 feet.

http://lovelylivelyhomely.com/

Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy is an ideal plant to use as a privacy screen, but it is also poisonous. It itches the skin of humans or animals if they come into contact with it, causing rashes, blisters, or cracks on the skin.

It is also toxic when consumed, though not as dangerous as some of the others we have discussed.

7.    Deadly nightshade

"<yoastmark

Deadly nightshade is also known as Atropa belladonna, and it is one plant that can cause rashes, distort your walking balance, and dilate your eye pupils. In severe cases, consuming Deadly nightshade leads to convulsions and hallucinations.

Wrap Up

Now that you have learned of what plants are poisonous to touch, consume, or smell, you should take care if you have any of them in your yard, patio, or house.

The solution may not be to get rid of your beautiful poisonous flowers but to ensure they are out of reach of your kids, pets, and even grown-ups who may not be aware the plants are poisonous.

Pass the word around to every family member and even the neighbors about the poisonous plants to avoid touching.

RELATED:

Please follow and like us:
Follow by Email
Twitter
Visit Us
Follow Me

2 comments

  1. Pingback: Lovely Fencing Plants That Deter Trespassers - The Homely

  2. Pingback: How to Make Your Home Safe for Playful Children - The Homely

Leave Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *